The Gentyl Farewell

10 Undead Hunter
I noticed the patches of dry skin months ago. A rash, nothing more I told myself. Mother had always been one to dabble with that herbal remedy and that, so I pulled memories out of the recesses of childhood and starting cooking. The alarm bots that had been set to go off if I attempted cooking in the tower wailed, screamed, and beeped until one and then another Pian ran in to see what kind of attack we were under. I set my own little army of bots loose to destroy the Gently-No-Cook bots. I wasn't sure which gnome was responsible, but Abon definitely had a hand in it. Each bot had carefully made up faces with long eyelashes and sweet little voices that demanded, "Lower the ladle and step away from the stove slowly. Or else" Then they twirled their laser guns and started shooting at me.

It was probably a gaggle of gnomes involved. Gnomes are pack animals. They seldom travel alone. My theory is it has something to do with maximum chaos squared. One gnome simply cannot do enough damage on their own. Glippin might be an exception. Abon certainly could. She wreaked havoc on a few horde guilds by trying to help them. That little assassin Ettin could. What was I thinking? Of course one gnome could destroy the world. I just believed they had a tendency to gravitate to chaos. Thus they gravitated to other gnomes...and me.

Regardless, I needed to find a cure. Faithe finally demanded I tell her what I was trying to concoct. After arguing with her for days, I gave in and allowed her to look at the skin, which was softer in a way, but the malady was spreading. It was no simple rash caused by this or that plant.

"Why aren't you eating?" she asked.

"What? I am eating."

"You've lost weight. Your ribs are showing."

"I've just been obsessed with this cure, I guess. I didn't realize I wasn't eating." The truth was, I consumed everything I could find. I stayed hungry.

Faithe scoured ancient texts looking for clues, but found nothing. I refused to tell her what I had already guessed. It had come to me in a dream. I should say he came to me in a dream. Tyrexus.

I was back in the lighthouse where he'd held me captive. He came to me and talked, as he always did. He had an elegant, soothing voice. I would almost think I could walk away, he was so pleasant. I'd stand up and say, "Well, it's been nice visiting with you, but I must be going now." I'd wave. He'd nod politely and hope I returned soon for another visit.

Of course that isn't how it went. When he was through examining me for effects, for that's what he was doing while we visited, he'd get out the vial and tell me to drink it. I refused. There's always a way to make a spoiled child take her medicine, though. Then he'd tell me he refused to let me act that way. I was a lady.

"Over my dead body!" I shouted.

He chuckled. "Now you're getting the idea. That is rather the plan."

I heard all about how rich Abominus was. How he would revere me and shower me with gifts if I would just allow myself to be turned.

He offered to kill Turn so I wouldn't feel like I was betraying him.

I was at my wit's end. He didn't realize it, but his formula had been working. I was changing. If I touched anything within a short period after taking the potion, I became that thing. I was staying transformed longer and longer. I spent several days as my kitten since I couldn't keep her from rubbing against me to get a pet. I was also changing into something else, but he had not seen it. All I could think of was losing the person I loved more than life. I didn't even mind dying, but to become that which he hated most of all?

Then one day I asked him a simple question. "Haven't you ever loved someone? Loved them with all your heart?"

He stood for a long time looking out over the ocean. "Yes, I have. Go back in the lighthouse."

I did as he was told. Later that night, I slumped against the door and cried. The door wasn't latched.

I gathered the black kitten and stuffed her in the back of my shirt then dove in the water, hoping it wasn't some kind of trap.

It wasn't. I received a few messages later from an odd man asking about my kitten. A gift of green eyes, the same color as Tyrexus' assistant. The one who tried to kill my kitten. Tyrexus always had a fascination with eyes.

In the dream he remarked about my eyes. "I always loved your eyes. I hope they don't grow ugly when you transform. I couldn't bear that." Then he laughed. "If they do, I'll just go find you some new ones."

I awoke cold, covered with sweat, and more terrified than I've ever been. Without bothering to light a candle, I fled down the stairs from my bed chamber to the kitchen to make some tea. My hands were still shaking when I lifted the cup to my mouth. A faint breeze rattled a piece of paper on the table. I unfolded it.
Reply Quote
10 Undead Hunter
Sepha Gentyl,

I know you need help. I saw this skin stuff in the apothecarium. I'm going to the Under City to see if my friend Lyle will help. Lyle loves me. He'll do anything I ask. He cried when they made me leave last time.

Abon

How she had survived in the Under City for several months I never knew, but Pia would make periodic supply runs to her and she seemed happy so who was I to judge? That was years ago, though. Was Lyle even alive? Dead? Whatever they are. I doubted a gnome would be welcome as anything but supper.

Damn gnomes.

I'd have to go after her, of course.

I left a farewell letter for Zephilyn, just in case. It would have to be written soon or later anyway if my suspicions were true. I stepped through the gloaming to the stable and saddled Valor, my white gryphon. Charitye rustled in the hay and stretched. She padded over to me and rubbed her head against my leg.

"Hello, darling girl. You can't go this time."

She stared at me with her great golden eyes. Then her lips curled back revealing a toothy grin...or a snarl, but knowing Charitye it was a grin.

I said goodbye to the guards and mounted up. I was barely in the air when a black bird settled in beside me. "No, Charitye. Go home. You can't go!"

I might as well have told the moon to stop shining.

I always got lost in Under City. It didn't matter how many times I had raided it, I always got lost. Luckily, I had some cloaking potions. I was just about to enter the sewer when Charitye shimmered into elven form. I nearly fainted in shock.

She blinked her eyes a few times and looked at herself, then smiled. "You need know. I thank you for kindness. When my man died. I died. Not want to live. Stayed cat so not have to think. I think time to live now."

With that she shimmered back into cat form and nudged my leg.

We wended our way through the warren of Under City without raising any alarms until reaching the apothecarium. I drank a cloaking potion and eased into the room. I didn't see any bright pink pigtails. Maybe she changed her mind. Only one lab assistant still worked and he kept looking about as if expecting something or someone. Charitye bumped my leg and nudged me into the room off the main section. There in a cage was Abon, or what was left of her. She was terribly beaten and mangled. A rat chewed at her toes, but she didn't have the strength to kick him away.

I wanted to scream and kill every forsaken in sight, but knew I had to get her out. I took out a set of tools and sprang the rusty lock. Abon opened the one eye that wasn't swollen shut. "Hi, Sepha. Poor Lyle. They're punishing him now because he tried to help me."

"Shhhh." I lifted her up. It was going to be trickier getting her out. "Charitye can you try to cloak her?" I wasn't even sure if Charitye could understand what I meant. Basically she understood "food" and "take balloon off" when she was in cat form.

She looked at me, puzzled.

"Drink this potion. Maybe it will last until we get out." I knew it wouldn't. I had two left and they weren't enough.

I was just about to give a prayer of thanks when they saw us. Charitye shoved me toward the tunnel and turned to fight. I ran a ways and lay Abon down then returned to Charitye who was fighting and backing up, leaving a trail of bodies behind her. Her gleaming coat was now red, green, and black from the blood and ichor. I added my weight to the fight and we cleared the way for a brief time.

Snatching Abon up, I raced down the tunnel, hoping we might be able to get out before reinforcements arrived. When was luck ever on my side?

More guards poured out of a side tunnel ahead of us. We ran as far as we could before we had to stop and fight. I dropped pour Abon to the ground and backed against Charitye who was laboring now. If I didn't get her out soon to stop the bleeding, she wasn't going to make it either.

At last we saw daylight and ran. If the guards were inclined to chase, they wouldn't have difficulty following the trail of blood. Someone had found where I tied Valor, though. He lay in a pool of blood, his throat cut.

I tried to heal Charitye with magic, but it failed me. I stared at my hands. This had never happened before. My hands had never been skin and bone before either. Charitye shimmered weakly into elven form and laid a healing hand on Abon. She smiled. "Little one always good to Charitye."

"Save some for yourself, Charitye."

She shook her head. "Not much, but all gone. It be all right. Time to live, just not here."

She slumped to the ground and was once again the great cat. I took her head in my lap and stroked her as she breathed her last. In my grief I imagined a handsome young elven man standing beside us, then he was gone.

I didn't know if it was enough to save Abon. I was sure she was hurt internally. I crawled to her and tried to pick her up. If I could get her to a village or a farm, maybe they would help.
Edited by Gentyl on 10/5/2015 10:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Undead Hunter
When I awoke a forsaken sat beside a campfire. I wondered if he was going to cook me or Abon. Where was Abon? I didn't see her anywhere.

"Ah, you're awake," he said. "Malathius Runyun. at your service."

"What kind of service would that be?" I asked warily.

"Well, I did bury your great cat. She must have been a wicked fighter. Heard about the little visit to Under City."

"And Abon?"

"That would be the gnome, I assume. She was in pretty rough shape. I took her to some people who said they'd help her."

"Help her what? Die?"

He chuckled. "You're so suspicious."

"You are forsaken."

"Have you looked in the mirror lately, darling? No, I suppose you haven't. You've been asleep for weeks."

"No, I took her to some humans. They are good people. I trust they will help her if she can be helped, but she was pretty far gone. I 'spect she's already growing grass. Could almost guarantee it."

He rummaged around in his bag and handed me a small silver mirror. I was afraid to look at it, but I already knew what I would find. I sighed. Where was the freckled cheek Turn had kissed. The lips he longed for? Nothing but decayed and rotten flesh. If I could have cried, I would have.

"Kill me now, please."

"A lot of them say that."

"You don't understand."

"I understand more than you think. I used to be an incorruptible. You're afraid you'll turn on your people. You'll become a monster. Some do. Most I warrant. Of course, we don't think we're monsters. We're all heroes in our own stories as they say. What sad heroes we've become, eh? Two incorruptibles corrupted and decayed to the bone.

"I wanted to die, also. If you still feel that way after a time, I'll help you die. I'll get a message back to the Presidium. It's the least I can do. Bury your ashes someplace proper and all that. For now, let me take you to Red Earth. I'm sure she'll let you rest there and you can make up your mind what you want to do."

To Pia, once again. I love you all so very much. You have given me joy and love and laughter. I cannot repay you for what you have given me, but know that it will not be forgotten. I wish you nothing but the best. I'm glad you chose to go on with Pia. Love to you all. Each and every one of you are so special to me. You have always been there for me. I owe you so very much.

To Cenerion Circle, thank you for eleven years of wonder. I will always treasure the stories and the people more than you know. I appreciate you letting me run wild with my characters and my imagination and giving me a home.

There were a lot of times, many more than you knew, that were deep dark pits. I'm not sure what I would have done without a place to come and just be around friends and share a laugh. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Regarding Abon. Do whatever y'all want with the little heathen.
Edited by Gentyl on 10/6/2015 2:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
<3 You are missed. I'll never forget the days we made your IC life a living hell back in Vanilla. You're one of the good ones, never stop.

Take care out there.
Edited by Clottia on 10/6/2015 7:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Undead Hunter
Oh, lawsy. That was so interesting. We always expected visits during the knighting ceremonies. Anytime, really. It made for some fun times never knowing when one or dozens of horde would appear to make us earn our supper. The best of times.

Thank you for the memories. Good luck in your travels. Bring back the fights.

Gen's player. My account will lapse soon, so thanks in advance to all.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
A messenger arrived from the AAMS for Abominus. He was busy concocting a new Maggot Army, the likes of which Draenor had never seen (which was true, it hadn't). The Maggot Lord looked up in irritation as the AAMS she-goblin waltzed into his lab, somehow getting past his guards, wards, shields, curses, Guard-maggots, and Percy the Maggot Butler. She oohed and aahed at all the bright beakers and ropes of smoking and writhing intestines coiled on the ceiling and walls, dripping various coloured and screaming ichors into vats, buckets, a drain, and a small bathtub filled with sand, tiny umbrellas and chaise lounges, and slumming maggots.

"Message for ya, Mistah Abominable, fresh from AAMS! Oim told tah say ya can't experiment on me per tha terms of yer contract with AAMS folk!"

Abominus sighed, and took off his leather gloves, which promptly fled to a corner of the room and wept.

"Well, let uss have it, yesss. Isss it another gift of Ssscreaming vapoursss, yesss?"

"Nuttin' loik dat, honey. Jes' a note"

The messenger handed it gingerly to Abominus. He took it, opened it, and quickly read the contents. His eyesockets widened.

"There isss a purssse by the door in an alcove, yesss. It isss yoursss, yesss. Try to feed it fresssh fliesss once a day, or it will get angry and ssstart sssinging, yesss. You don't want that, yesss."

The AAMS messenger giggled with delight, and, taking up her purse, scampered out of the lab.

"Ssso, Gentyl-thing isss now a Forsssaken, and isss hiding with Red Earth, yesss! If we could only find them both, yesss....."

****************************************************************************************************************

Gentyl, I wish you the best. I treasure and cherish our interactions in this game, all the way back when I fisrt cannibalized your corpse in a Horde raid on Goldshire so long ago. You were a true inspiration for all who knew you, your RP and story telling always bright and well done. You will be missed, but never forgotten by this old Hordie.

For the Forsssaken, yesss!

*licks*
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Kyte makes his way to stormwind cathedral, always so busy, barely had enough time to visit the cathedral like a good paladin should. Thinking to himself, "should really hit up Ironforge soon, im sure pia could use an extra body monday night" Kyte felt bad, always traveling, so hard to stay in the loop it felt, as he began ascending the steps he stops mid step, eyes wide. Kyte was always alright at wielding the light, not great though, the light never spoke to him, not like this, the name Gentyl comes to mind. Kyte looks around old forgotten memories coming to surface, meeting Gentyl for the first time, so long ago, even the old night elf band they were in before she founded pia, her wisdom even when Kyte was loosing himself all so long ago.

Kyte shakes his head coming out of his nostalgic trans, not sure why he though of the pia leader then and there, kyte turns around almost afraid to enter the cathedral afraid he might hear some bad news regarding pia. Kyte leaves stormwind mounting his steed, looking up at the sun, thinking Lady Gentyl before riding off.

*cheers to one of the first people I ever met in world of warcraft, thank you*
Edited by Kyté on 10/6/2015 9:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
*Raises a glass*
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Thank you for making Cenarion Circle a better place and best wishes for whatever adventures lay ahead for you Gentyl!

/salute
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
Though I have not touched on this character in such a long time until just recently, I have not forgotten your kindness to me 2 years ago in welcoming me to CC.

You were the first person to "speak" to me, and one of the three that made CC my home.

This is where we first met: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7592579705#1

I will miss you dearly
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
If the weather matched the mood of the night, it would have been dark, moonless and punctuated with a cold drizzle. Instead it was a warm and welcoming early fall evening. Scant clouds broke up the starry sky. But an ominous feeling pervaded over Hearthglen. The sentries who patrolled the walls and manned the gates braced into a tighter posture of alertness. Fighting men and women, veterans of the campaigns in Northrend and elsewhere - they knew when to trust their instincts.

Zephilyn watched the lone rider approach the gate from her window. Her curiosity piqued, she observed silently as the two gate guards approached the man. She squinted but could make out few details. A hood obscured his head and face and full length mail covered the rest. She observed as the guards spoke with him warily. She couldn't make out the conversation, but enough of the body language told her they didn't recognize him. He reached into his cloak and passed a box to one, then turned and spurred his steed away.

The great gates groaned shut as the two guards passed back inside the gatehouse. Thinking little more of the odd drama she had witnessed, Zephilyn seated herself at her desk again and returned to her paperwork. Like any military organization, reports to higher headquarters, orders to subordinates, after action reviews... Pia ran as much on paperwork as it did on faith, charity, and the Light. Zephilyn frowned.

Some time later she heard footsteps coming up the stone stairs to her office. Hard soled leather boots and a pair of them, marching in time- the Captain of the Guard. A knock at her door, "Sepha. A package has just arrived for you." The tone of the captain's voice was tenored with his own curiosity. She opened the door and met his eyes with an arched eyebrow. "Is there a story behind this mysterious package? I am not expecting anything." The man shook his head slightly. "A masked rider delivered it. The gate guards..." She made the connection, cutting in, "The gate guards got no answers from him. I saw."

The captain nodded and held the box out. "The priests have looked it over Sepha. It is not tainted or cursed or diseased." Taking the wrapped box, she dismissed him and set to opening it carefully. Underneath the paper lay an envelope, addressed to "The Current Sepha of the Pia Presidium". She frowned, wondering whose game this might be. Clearly this was some kind of a prank, but it was much too sophisticated to have come from Sir Broodin.

She opened the letter and began to read. Her mood swung from mild annoyance and curiosity to near panic and grief. She stifled a cry.

"To The Current Sepha of the Pia Presidium,

I write this letter to tell you of the end of Sepha Gentyl. She, like I, became afflicted with a plague. Regardless of what she has told you, she was gradually changing. Becoming a Forsaken. Like I, she fought it. And, like I, she failed. She asked that I end this existence, this suffering and return her remains to you. Like myself, she is incorruptible no more. I ask that you bury her with the honors she has earned. We are all heroes in our own stories.

Malathius Runyun"

At the very bottom of the page were a series of sigils. Knights of the Presidium used these to convey that the message was not forced or coerced. Zephilyn had only seen the ones on the bottom of the page once before- in a bit of instruction. They were genuine codes, but dated back to the fall of Lorderon.

She could feel the ashes inside the box now. Certainty rose in her gut. The note, and the ashes, were genuine. Selfish thoughts swirled in her head, no matter her best efforts she could not help but think them. "There is no going back now. Sepha Gentyl will not return to lead the Presidium. It is yours now Zephilyn. The bridge behind you is burnt."

The next morning, her eyes red-rimmed, she set about writing the funeral invitations. Sepha Gentyl had done so much for so many, they should have the opportunity to say good bye. And where better than Uther's Tomb? She nodded to herself.
Reply Quote
Plainswander sits for a long time, looking down at the note in his hands. it's not his of course, in fact, it's addressed to Abominus, and from Gentyl ...... but, like every piece of AAMS tradecraft that has ever existed, he "somehow" managed to get his hands on a copy.

For a long time nothing is said, but then, finally, one word.... "huh".

With no further words spoken, the big bull gets up, walks slowly out of his bar, and makes for his lodgings on the other side of the garrison. The door slowly shuts behind him, and he lays down on his bedding.

Sleep doesn't come for quite some time.
Edited by Plainswander on 10/29/2015 3:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
A few days later, small white envelopes began appearing in the mailboxes of friends of the Pia Presidium. Perhaps some even made their way to longtime and respected foes.

While it is the the deepest regret that we inform you of our passing, come and honor the life and accomplishments of Sepha Gentyl of the Presidium. While her time in this life may be over, her example guides us all.

Time: Sunday, November 8th, 2 Bells

Sepha Zephilyn
Pia Presidium

((OOC: Time / Place - Uther's Tomb at 2 Server on November 8th))
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It was a day like any usual day in Tyr's Hand as Meiyo, Countess and Mother Superior of the town's cathedral was tending to the horses when the signal horn at the gate blew informing that a rider was approaching. "Now who in the Eastern Kingdoms would be coming on a day like this?" Meiyo said aloud, she went down to the town square and waited at the fountain as the large gate doors opened. The rider rode in at a friendly pace, Meiyo could tell by the banner the rider was carrying that he was a messenger from Pia Presidium in Hearthglen. "Welcome to Tyr's Hand sir, to what do we owe the honor of your visit?" she said, the rider looked at her with a heart-broken expression. "Forgive me My Lady" he said, "I bring an invitation and ill news that are for your eyes only." "Alright" Meiyo said cautiously, "Let me see please". She accepted the envelope and turned to her squire "Please offer this man food and drink and a place to rest", the squire nodded and showed the rider to the barracks.

Meiyo opened up the envelope and pulled out the letter on top, reading it silently. Halfway down the letter, Meiyo felt her knees weaken. She fell to the ground still staring at the letter, her face suddenly during slightly pink and started to cry. "No....Oh Gentyl how could this have happened to you? Light forgive me, if I had known I would have helped you as best I could..." Meiyo took a moment to compose herself before pulling out the second letter which was the invitation to Lady Gentyl's Funeral. "I must inform my people" She said to herself "My Holy Knights will want to escort me to the funeral..." Meiyo picked herself up and walked to the cathedral to order a Mass and a feast to honor Lady Gentyl's memory.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
((Just a reminder for those interested in attending the funeral for Sepha Gentyl, the service will be at 2 PM Server on Sunday))
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
((everything is as ready as it can be on my end, hope I can get at least 2 of my own people to escort me. if not I may have to ask for an escort, a Mother Superior of a monastery goes nowhere without one according to Wikipedia))
Reply Quote
It had been a good long time since she last stepped through to old doors of the Tenths tower. Events in Draenor had kept her away and she had made her own garrison her home. The fighting there had begun to calm and much of the fighting at home had come to a complete stop. It had been a month or more since she had to respond to an attack at this town or another. As much as that bored her, she took both as a sign to take a much needed rest.

Leaving her garrison in the hands of Rinhold's old friend Nathaniel, she left it to run itself for a time. Despite his complaints, he agreed to watch things until she returned. Spending much of her time just away from people in general, she enjoyed the peace and quiet of Ashenvale until it was time to come home.

Before heading home at her garrison, she decided to make a stop at the old tower to see if any of the dust had be disturbed. Maybe see if the old man made a brief return from where ever he went to this time.
As expected, she could see the mailbox overflowing from neglect which meant no one had been inside since the last time she was here. That or one of the two cats never bothered to gather them. Grabbing the pile as she entered, she glanced through them as she looked for a place to set the pile down.
Dusting off a place, she put them down one at a time as she read them.

“Bills, bills, taxes, you could be a winner…” She read aloud.

“…’Congratulations on becoming the temporary Guild Leader’ Wait, what?? When did that happen?” She said to herself knowing no one was listening.

Setting the pile to the side, she glanced at small white letter with the stamp of Pia on the front of it. Carefully opening it, she read its contents.

Sitting after she read it, she let the letter fall onto the table. She sat there alone and in silence for a time, drawing a blank on what to think. Then, before she realized it, the whole world felt as though it were crashing in around her. In a moment of rage, the table holding the mail erupted into flame. Charred remains of paper slowly danced around her as they floated towards the floor. Dropping to her knees, the rage faded away and she again felt lost.

Looking down on the floor, she saw a single paper before her. The only page not to be burned had come from the letter. Picking up the page, she looked it over again. Coming to her feet, she withdrew a hearthstone from her bags. Using it, she returned home to her garrison.

Nathaniel looked up upon seeing the arrival of Rose in the main halls once again. Standing and giving a halfhearted salute, he greeted her.

“So good to see you again. As you can see, everything is still in its place, nothing missing, nothing burning…today.” He said slightly smiling.

Rose glanced at him slightly. “Nothing missing? If only that were true.” She replied as she began to walk towards the door.

Confused, Nathaniel called out to her. “Are you heading out again?”

“The garrison is yours for the time being. I’ll be leaving again shortly. I do not know when I’ll be back.” She said.

Curious, he asked “Where are you going?”

“…a funeral”
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
((I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who came - and apologize to those who might not have gotten the message in time. It was a fun event!))
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
Places a hand on the ancient scroll she had been studying and lowers the note she had received moments before. She reaches for her flute and bringing to her lips she plays a lament; a farewell to family. There are no words.

'Thank you Sepha for giving me a home, thank you for the stories and the humour. I don't know how long I will be back myself, but the time I spent chatting and playing with you will always be very special to me.'
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]